The appeals process

If a patient or their carer is unhappy with the outcome of their CHC assessment they can ask the CCG to review their case. There are three stages to this process:

1. The patient or their representative should contact the CHC team:


Telephone: 0300 123 4448

NHS Continuing Healthcare and Funded Nursing Care Team
5th Floor, Civic Offices
Civic Way
PO16 7AZ

Once the local review stage has been completed, the CCG should provide you with information about how to refer your case for an Independent Review Panel (IRP).

This is done through your regional continuing healthcare department of the NHS Commissioning Board (The Board).

You should write a short letter to The Board requesting an IRP to review a continuing healthcare decision, explaining that you have completed the local review process and briefly outlining your reasons for appeal.

The Board will send you a formal IRP request form to complete. The form will ask you to explain your reasons for requesting an IRP in more details, and will encourage you to specify any complaints you have about the process of assessment

The board for the south can be contacted by:



Ms E Roberts
NHS England Continuing Healthcare Team (South)
South West House
Blackbrook Park Avenue
Telephone: 01823 361000                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               If a patient is unhappy with the outcome of the independent review, they can complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The ombudsman’s role is to decide whether decisions made by the NHS are in line with the national framework; it does not generally make judgements about whether the NHS has made the right decision.

NHS England has taken on board feedback from the ombudsman, for example by refreshing its CHC redress guidance in 2015.